Help Prevent Pollution, Poisonings, and Drug Abuse!
Dispose of your Unneeded Medication – 6 Steps to Safety
- Pour medicine into a sealable plastic bag.
- If the medicine is a solid, add a small amount of water to dissolve it.
- Add coffee grounds, kitty litter, or something similar to the liquid medicine in the plastic bag.
- Seal the bag and immediately dispose of it in the trash.
- Use a marker to black out any personal contact information on the empty medicine container prior to disposing of it in the trash.
- For more information, consult the NH Department of Environmental Services page, "Medicine Disposal Information for New Hampshire." Disposal information for household generated sharps may also be found on this website by clicking here.
Do NOT flush medicine down the toilet unless accompanying product information instructs otherwise. Don't keep unneeded medications in the home.
Medicine collection events staffed by law enforcement, if readily available, are also good options for safely disposing of unwanted medicine.
A flyer with this information may be downloaded from the NH Department of Environmental Services website.
For more information or in case of an accidental poisoning, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222.
There is a Prescription Drug Drop Box in the lobby of the Derry Police Department which allows residents to dispose of prescription medications 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.